Internships play a significant role in discovering passion and giftedness and have the potential to alter life’s direction! Through CBF’s Student.Go (read student dot go) and Student.Church (read student dot church), a summer or semester is punctuated with meaningful experiences allowing both graduate and undergraduate students the opportunity to recognize their place within God’s mission to change the world.
Student.Church provides congregational internships to students who are interested in a deeper experience of church life or pursuing a call to ministry. Interns are mentored by seasoned ministers as they explore the breadth of congregational ministry through a variety of learning experiences. On this web page you will find more information about the application process for students, the role of congregations in the support and nurture of interns, as well as CBF's resources for walking alongside both the student and church throughout the internship.
Length of Internship: 10 weeks (this includes a required orientation and debriefing) starting mid/late May and ending early August
Orientation: This event builds community among all CBF Student.Church and Student.Go interns, while also training and preparing interns to enter into their internship equipped with new skills and resources. Orientation is required. Orientation is scheduled for mid-to-late May 2022, and will be held in person.
Debriefing: Students end their internship at a formal debriefing typically held at a retreat called Selah Vie. This experience is a necessary part of the process of transitioning back into student or work life. As of November 2022, Selah Vie is being planned as an in-person event.
Summer Finances: Student.Church interns are paid a minimum of $1200 (1/2 from church internship site and 1/2 from CBF). In addition, CBF covers travel expenses to and from Orientation and Debriefing at Selah Vie and all costs associated with these events (if held in-person). The host church/site also covers housing (if needed) and expenses for all church-related activities while on the field.
Application Timeline: The application period for Summer 2022 opens November 29, 2021 and will remain open until all positions are filled.
Intern Application Information
Student.Church interns are characterized as:
How do I apply?
- Begin by reading the Student.Church Internship Guide below for more details about the program.
- Complete the student application form. If you have any questions, please email our team.
- If you have already approached a church about serving as their intern, you will be asked to include their information. If you have not identified a church in which to serve, you will be asked to specify in general your geographical, demographic and ministry preferences in terms of church placement. Please click here for the most updated list of churches that have not yet secured an intern. Updates will be made as church applications are received.
- Ask three people to serve as references and have them complete the reference form. The references should be:
- someone who has observed you in a ministry setting (ex. previous supervisor, campus pastor or youth group pastor)
- a trusted adult (ex. previous boss, internship supervisor or deacon at church)
- someone at your educational institution (ex. professor, advisor, staff or Resident Director)
Click the Student.Church Internship Guide to the right for more details about the program for students, parents, congregations and supervisors. Please read this document in advance of beginning the application process. On the application form, you will be asked to agree to certain aspects of the program that are only explained in this guide.
Church Application Information
Student.Church congregations are characterized as:
How do churches apply?
- Begin by reading the Student.Church Internship Guide above for more details about the program.
- Whether you are a returning or new applicant you will need to apply via the church application form.
- If you have already approached a young adult about serving as your intern, please include their information. If you have not identified someone to serve as your intern, you will be asked to specify in general what you are looking for and the type of work the intern will be doing.
- Churches may apply to host only one intern through the Student.Church program. After the deadline has passed and contingent on fund availability, additional interns may be requested/funded.
If you have questions about the internship, contact our team .